Tuesday, March 20, 2007

New Yorkers can be very helpful

I just read this article about some research done by students at Barnard College... Rather inspirational - they found that if you drop a wallet, the vast majority of the time strangers will try to return it to you...

Here is a link to the article about their research:
http://www.columbia.edu/cu/news/07/03/Wallet.html

It is true in my own experience, several times over the years I have accidentally left my wallet or my cell phone in a taxi, and I have indeed gotten them back... For the wallets, the person who got into the cab after me found identifying information and called me, and for the cell phones, I was able to call my cell phone and have the taxi driver return it to me...

It reminds me of this quote I saw on the door of an apartment:

"Practice Random kindness and senseless acts of beauty"


it turned out to be part of a movement for goodness - the slogan was written by Anne Herbert

No comments: